Nashville, Murfreesboro, Knoxville and Chattanooga TN
Summer is a great time to enjoy the outdoors. From BBQs with friends and family to swimming parties and more, many families like to enjoy the longer daylight hours during this time of year. However, stinging insects like wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets can send people running for cover indoors. And sometimes, stinging insects find their way inside too! Unfortunately, while stinging insects are a nuisance to many, others experience life-threatening reactions if stung. Today on the blog, one of the best pest control companies in Murfreesboro shares tips on dealing with stinging pests this summer, so you maintain your outdoor activities without fear of getting stung.
Types of Stinging Insects in Nashville
Some of the most common stinging insects that we see in Nashville are hornets, paper wasps, yellow jackets, and solitary wasps. Stinging insects present several dangers to pets and humans. Their venom may invoke an allergic reaction that could send you to the ER. Stinging insects tend to build nests in areas like playhouses, playground equipment and may be difficult to get rid of once they build nests. Over time, stinging insects may even damage your property.
Dealing with Stinging Insects
There are two ways to handle stinging insects, prevention and control. Every homeowner should practice these preventive measures to ensure stinging insects stay far away from their property.
Here are ways to help prevent stinging insects swarming or building nests around your home.
- Maintain your property by keeping hedges and shrubs trimmed, and ensure that branches do not touch your home or hang over the roof.
- Plant new trees and shrubs away from your home so that as they grow, their branches will not come in contact with any structure.
- Assess your window and door seals for any cracks or openings. Flying insects are known to enter homes through these access points. New door or window seals are inexpensive and can be purchased at a local hardware store.
- Inspect your window screens for any cuts or holes. Insects of all kinds like to enter homes this way. Window and door screens can be an added barrier to preventing stinging insects from entering your home.
- Keep your home in good condition and complete repairs as necessary, like replace missing or broken shingles or siding.
- If your home has a chimney, ensure there is a cap installed over the top, which prevents stinging insects and other pests from entering.
- Contact a professional pest control company for wasp or hornet removal in Nashville if you notice any nests. Do not attempt to remove the nest yourself.
Wasp and Hornet Removal in Nashville, Murfreesboro, and Hermitage
You don’t have to let stinging insects ruin your fun this summer. If you spot wasp or hornet nests on your property, it’s best to contact a pro at Ameri Care. Our trained professionals know how to handle and remove these nests without disturbing them. Call Ameri Care at (615) 893-7111 to learn more about our stinging insect control program in Murfreesboro and Nashville so that you and your family can enjoy your backyard without worrying about being stung.